Insider News

Get the latest news from the Mazda Race Team Here.
nockg

Insider News

Postby nockg » Wed May 19, 2010 12:22 pm

MAZDA MOVE CLOSER TO SUCCESS
The Mazda Motorsport equipe took a giant step closer to their goal this past weekend at Aldo Scribante, in Port Elizabeth. After many hours on the dyna, improving the power and fine tuning the car for sea-level conditions a small glitch appeared for the Heinz Bose car. A small tear on the gearbox seal saw oil leaking onto the clutch, causing slippage. In spite of this, Heinz managed a time just 1 second off second place, nursing the car around. Whilst the engine was removed and replaced, Heinz sat the second session out.
The third session began and although the rest of the field had an extra practice under their belts, Heinz put in a sensational series of fast laps, finishing the session in third place, behind arch-rivals Nathan and Formato. “The car felt brilliant, I was very quick down the straight and managed to get the car perfectly set up for the corners. I can find a bit of time within my own style and look forward to at least a third tomorrow,” exuded an upbeat Bose.
George Smalberger had a good start to his practice sessions, despite never having driven his MFC backed Mazda on this circuit. He had participated in all 3 practice sessions, trying different set-up techniques when, pushing a little too hard, he left the track and upon rejoining the circuit felt his car was not reacting properly. “I slid off and came straight back on to the circuit but the bumpy outfield damaged one of my front shock absorbers. The team did what they could to remedy the broken damper but I was worried that it might break during the race which may have been disastrous. We decided to withdraw the car rather than cause a huge accident,” commented a bitterly disappointed Smalberger.
“I was really getting to grips with the car and was looking forward to racing on the tight and twisty circuit, Heinz had tested a few new components on his car which really improved his times and these will go onto my car in time for the Kyalami event. I can’t wait,” he continued.
Race-day saw a conservative start by Mazda standards, when Heinz put in a time much quicker than the day before. He felt that it was enough to place him at least 3rd on the grid and was shocked to see himself in 6th place. A proverbial blanket could have been thrown over the top 7 drivers. Heinz was only 0.2 seconds off second place but it was enough to relegate him to sixth place.
The race started well with Heinz scything his MFC Mazda through the pack to third and then fourth place. Embroiled in a tight battle for third, he suffered a fate often experienced by slip-stream racing. “In being tucked up under the bootlid of the car in front of you, your own car starts to overheat because it is not getting enough flowing air to cool the radiator. I felt the car begin to slow and glanced at my temperature gauge, which showed the tell-tale signs of an over-cooked engine. I was gutted and backed off immediately to try and save the engine” groaned Heinz after the race.
“The damage was done though and I slipped down from a fighting fourth to eighth place. The second race is started within 10 minutes from the end of the first race and we had no time to evaluate the damage done to the motor. I decided to start the race but immediately felt that I had a problem. I retired the car rather than cause more damage,” he concluded.
The team have nearly a month to get both cars back to their best in time for the next round at Kyalami on the 5th June.
“We are very happy with the power and the handling of our MFC Mazda 3s. Kyalami is our home circuit and I am convinced that we have the right package to put in a great performance,” said George Smalberger.
Mazda Motorsport would like to acknowledge the following partners: Mazda, MFC, Powerbrake, Supertech Auto, Leatt Brace, Etana Insurance, Autowiel Centurion and Sax Shocks
JakeST
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Car: Ford
Model: Kuga

Re: Insider News

Postby JakeST » Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Cool thanks for that impressive report NockG.......hopefully they can tighten the knot and give it stick to theyre competitors on theyre home ground!
nockg

Postby nockg » Thu May 20, 2010 9:13 am

JakeST wrote:Cool thanks for that impressive report NockG.......hopefully they can tighten the knot and give it stick to theyre competitors on theyre home ground!

Thanks JakeST but I can't take the credit for the article as it was written by someone else.
nockg

Postby nockg » Thu May 20, 2010 9:17 am

Ok was at Trevor's workshop last night and so I have some more insider news. Heinz's engine needed a rebuild due to a piston not liking the overheating problem from the previous race. His engine will go in his car today. :cool:

George's engine was in pieces when but that is because they are busy getting it to the same level as Heinz's engine and they are hoping to have George's engine in by Friday so that both cars can be dynoed.

If all goes well the guys will be doing a practice session on Monday at Kyalami to make sure that all is good.

So we should have two very strong Mazda's racing on the 5th of June. :thumbup:
EwMPS
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Car: Mazda
Model: CX5

Postby EwMPS » Thu May 20, 2010 10:15 am

well we have to keep our thumbs crossed for them, I just have this feeling that these motors are not very strong for racing or something is missing somewhere...
Mazda CX5 2.2 Akera
Mazda 3 MPS MK2
Mazda 3 MPS MK1

JakeST
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Postby JakeST » Thu May 20, 2010 6:52 pm

Myabe they boosting to high.......should maybe go back to stock K04 turbos as the GTI`s and ST`s run stock turbo and doing well! :idea:

Maybe GT2871R not liking the boost?????
323GTX

Postby 323GTX » Thu May 20, 2010 7:38 pm

Don't the GTi's run the Audi Turbo with is a bit bigger?
ColinE
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Model: Fiesta

Postby ColinE » Fri May 21, 2010 6:48 am

K04's from the S3 etc. Ja.
Fiesta ST180
ex MPS gen1
Andrewfus

Postby Andrewfus » Fri May 21, 2010 10:28 am

I watched the Aldo Scribante race last night and I must say that I was disappointed.
The golfs are just better set up and make more reliable power, even Formato complained that he was off the pace of the golfs.

They need help (the Mazda guys).....
MPS-T33

Postby MPS-T33 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi Everybody
Firstly apologies for not posting on this website for months it has been and unbelievably hectic the past few months.
I would like to thank everybody for the support you guys have shown over the past 2 years it has been great!!!

Let me just clear up some issues so everybody understand where we have been and where we are heading with our team.
First and foremost everybody must understand that our team only got funding to 3 weeks before the first race which really did not help matters.In those 3 weeks we threw out the std management and fitted a Perfect Power management with traditional port injection (Perfect power is developing a stand alone system for us to run direct injection in the future).
The conversion was far more complicated than anticipated and we eventually managed to get it working the Wednesday before the race on Thursday night before the race we did final A/F ratio checks on the Dyno when something in the boost control failed resulting in our first conrod failure in 2 years.We worked the whole night and managed to get to the track the next day but From then the weekend was ruined due to burned drivers in the management resulting in a undrivable car my new teammate George ran on a detuned version of last years car and came 6th without having ever driven the car before the weekend.
For the second race in Cape town my car had a problem on the dyno due to injectors which damaged the engine I practiced with that engine but we decided to change it through the night. We took the car on the road early on Saturday morning but again something went wrong with the boost control and another rod went through the block resulting in a serious fire almost burning out the car.
I was out for the day but George gave up his car which I raced to a 6th 4th and a DNF (seized water pump).
After we got back we sorted my car out and tested it 3 times sorting out most of the problems we had been having and went to PE relatively confident.As luck would have it a oil seal popped causing the clutch to slip we had to strip the gearbox to fix it we finished 5 min before the end of practice an I managed to slot into 3rd quickest.
The Qualifying you know about Having gone a full second quicker than last year and only managed 6th.In the race from when the flag dropped the cars temperature started climbing from the slip streaming, I tried to manage the situation by short shifting but the damage had been done.I started the 2nd race but stopped on lap 4 when one of the pistons broke.

That's whats happened up to now.Both cars have new engines in them and Georges car is now also on aftermarket management.
We have also made some big changes on the cooling hopefully that will put that gremlin to rest.We are going to test hopefully 2 before next week.

To answer some other questions We run a Garrett GT2860 (Not a 2871) the ford runs a S60R Volvo turbo rated at 220kw std and the Golfs run a S3 turbo.

The tuners we use are Trevor and Stephan (expert on Perfect power) and I stand behind them 100 % these cars are not easy to tune and this year we have stared with a clean piece of paper which has caused us some headaches but we are getting around it.

I see some people wonder about budgets well our budget is the smallest in class T to put it in perspective Ford has +- 6 times our budget and the 2 VW about 3 times as much.Ford has 5 people permanently working on their cars we Have 1.That is not an excuse just the reality of the situation.

Just in closing If you have never met me my teammate or the rest of our team then you don't understand how passionate we are about the Brand Mazda and how committed we are to winning.

Come to Kyalami on the 5th and support the team we might just surprise you ;) :ta:
Feel free to ask questions

T33
323GTX

Postby 323GTX » Tue May 25, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks for the update, I think the guys get frustrated because we all Mazdaholic and extremely passionate as well. You have all our support and we will be there on the 5th enforce. As we all know money buys power and reliability and hopefully all is sorted know and you can go from strength to strength.
nockg

Postby nockg » Tue May 25, 2010 12:52 pm

I am looking forward to the 5th of June. Mazda will start showing how strong they can be, we just need to be patient.
EwMPS
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Car: Mazda
Model: CX5

Postby EwMPS » Tue May 25, 2010 2:20 pm

I think we must all go and show our support on yhe 5th!

Thanks for the update, it must be frustrating not having enough sponsorship and people! :roll:

Good luck and see you guys @ Kyalami
Mazda CX5 2.2 Akera
Mazda 3 MPS MK2
Mazda 3 MPS MK1

JakeST
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Postby JakeST » Tue May 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks for putting the record straight T33........this gives most of peace of mind as we havent heard alot from the camp.

But we will be there on the 5th in full support........... :thumbup:

Make us Proud! :king:
Andrewfus

Postby Andrewfus » Tue May 25, 2010 6:41 pm

Is JDMtuner part of the team?

I'm sure he can get a lot of publisaty in this venture....... :king: :cool:

Thanks for the update Heinz. I can only imagine your frustration in knowing that you have a product that can run rings around the competition, with enough funds...

Return to “Mazda Race Team News”