Race Report

Get the latest news from the Mazda Race Team Here.
MPS-T33

Race Report

Postby MPS-T33 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks for all the support on Saturday it was great to see!!

It was a up and down weekend. Lets start with the up.My engine was 100% reliable no drama there the down side Georges overheated due to a loose radiator cap. Another up was that we improved our fastest lap at Kyalami by a second the downside the some of the front-runners improved by 1.5 seconds.

My car was only finished late on Thursday George's only ran for the first time Late Thursday night and was finished on the dyno at 4.50 on Friday morning. We had some serious wiring issues in his car which took 2 days to sort out.

We decided to skip 1st practice to finish everything we had to do at the workshop not at the track (setup corner weights etc).

My practice went ok I was +- 8th quickest on old rubber and I did about 10 laps in total but the overheating problem was still there which are oil related oil gets to 140 and the water starts to climb over 100deg.
Georges car decided to blow out a welded piece of aluminium which covers the direct injector we needed to take it back to the workshop and fix it which took until 2 o clock in the morning.

3rd practice I go out with a modified front bumper and a fan that runs permanently overheating is much better and I push hard and drop to a 1.55.5 the quickest time ever there.The session gets red flagged and decide to park it.I ended up 5th quickest which I am happy with considering I am on old rubber.

Saturday morning Georges car is back and in qualifying he does his quickest time he has ever done even though he goes of at sunset backwards smacking the tires hard.

I go out behind the Golf of Quamby and to my surprise I start catching him through sector 1 setting the 3rd quickest time in sector 1.Unfortunatly I never get further than that my schock breaks coming out of wesbank almost pitching me into the wall end of qualifying for me. Quamby qualifies in 5th with a 53.5 I was gutted back of the grid for me.

Race one I have a good start but have to get out of it in turn 1 when Nathans car expires in a big way in the armco barrier SC is deployed.The restart only gives me 3 laps to make up some places I manage to get up to 5th but cook my tires in the process. Consolidation is i set the 2nd quickest lap time in the race.
The 2nd race I start 2nd but from lap one I realize my tires are shot eventually have to back of a lot with tire that comes apart on my car I made it as difficult for people to pass but eventually finish 5th.

When I get back to the pits I get the bad news that Georges car has overheated what a disappointment and the worst is that it looks like a radiator cap was loose !!!! what a load of crap the team is down and we still cannot figure out how it happened.

For the 3rd race we change the setup to help the tires which made them last but the pace is to fast and I cannot catch them once I pass the 4 Golfs in front of me.
But my gearbox is giving me problems and the brake pedal is inconsistent hitting the floorboard every now and then so I just cruise home for 6th.

Bottom line for the weekend is that we have a car that is very fast over one lap but the setup just isnt good enough for long races.So now we need to do the necessary testing to find the balance and we should slot into the top 3 consistently.

We have until the 14th of August to find a solution which should be enough time.
:thumbup:
nockg

Re: Race Report

Postby nockg » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:55 am

Thanks for that! Was an up and down day on Saturday :bash: and it is awesome that the cars are getting stronger. :thumbup: Let's hold thumbs that by the next race the cars are perfect and that they finish higher than 5th!
323GTX

Postby 323GTX » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:22 am

Well it looks like the speed is coming , just the reliability needs some work. Hope you guys get that sorted. A great time was had by the club and we will be back.
Inferno888
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Car: Mazda
Model: 3 MPS

Postby Inferno888 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:35 am

Ja, a loose radiator cap...

sounds like sabotage :stir:
323GTX

Postby 323GTX » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 am

I won't be the first time some one has sabotaged a Mazda is this form of racing.
JakeST
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Car: Ford
Model: Kuga

Postby JakeST » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:52 am

Damn $! guys :stir: hehehehhehehe
Saikontan

Postby Saikontan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:16 am

We will get there, just a matter of patience :thumbup:
TheGoose

Postby TheGoose » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Firstly ask Mazda for the new MPS mk2 :mrgreen:
Secondly get me a job at kyalami :lol:
We are all still behind you buddy :thumbup:
Keep it up
JakeST
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Car: Ford
Model: Kuga

Postby JakeST » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:15 pm

If you guys need help done on the car im free during the week 9:00am to 16:00pm........at no cost to you! ;)

Will even do free testing on the track for you.......no salary required. :thumbup:

Just want to see Mazda beat the other manufacturers!!!!! :cool:
T34 MPS

Postby T34 MPS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi Guys

From my side thanks for the support. We are busy getting the cars ready for testing this week.

We will keep you posted on this site and on our facebook site.

Check it out.

Regards
EwMPS
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Car: Mazda
Model: CX5

Postby EwMPS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:37 pm

Facebook site?
Mazda CX5 2.2 Akera
Mazda 3 MPS MK2